No area is as delicate or sensitive as a woman’s genitalia. So, you are not alone in wondering if a labiaplasty will hurt. Many girls, no matter how unhappy they are with the shape or size of their labia, refuse to talk to their surgeon about genital surgery for fear of the discomfort. If you find this rings true then you will be relieved to know that pain after a labiaplasty is minimal and short-lived.
A labiaplasty procedure is performed using a local anesthetic, so you will not feel a thing during the surgery. Generally taking less than an hour, a compression garment may be put in place before you head back home. As the anesthetic wears off, you may experience mild to moderate discomfort lasting for two to three days. Over-the-counter and prescription pain medications can easily manage this discomfort. An intermittent cold compress can help to keep swelling down. Within a week or two, most of the tenderness will have resolved.
Tips to Reduce Labiaplasty Discomfort:
- Urination may sting for a few days. Running a gentle stream of clean, warm water over the labia while peeing may help ease urination discomfort.
- Post-op swelling is uncomfortable. A cold compress, even a bag of frozen peas, can be applied in 20-minute intervals to reduce swelling and pain.
- Tight, restrictive clothing can rub on your labiaplasty incisions. Wear loose undies and steer clear of tight-fitting clothing for the first few weeks.
- Avoid tampons for the four to six weeks after surgery. Introducing a tampon early can be painful, risking irritation and infection.
- Postpone sexual intercourse for at least six weeks after your labiaplasty, or until approved by your operating surgeon. Resuming sex too early will be painful and can cause trauma to the tissues.
The single, most important factor in a comfortable, safe, and satisfying labiaplasty is an experienced surgeon. Dr. Paul Vitenas is a board certified plastic surgeon, with more than 30 years of surgical experience. He has created his own meticulous labiaplasty and vaginoplasty techniques, setting him apart from his peers, who are often unable to offer the same level of results. Contact Vitenas Cosmetic Surgery to set up your free vaginoplasty consultation with Dr. Vitenas by calling 281.606.0007.